Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Finally...home.

<--- Thats a Texas sunset and a Mesquite tree.

After a very fun and sucessful 7.5 weeks in New York City I wrapped up the final performance of Die tote Stadt this past Saturday afternoon. I was also wrapping up my belongings that I have been carrying with me over the past 4 months while I've been out on the road! I got everything packed in the car and headed out on my journey from NY to TX.

The first day I got out of NYC at about 5:45pm, as it took a little time navigating the traffic in and around the Lincoln Tunnel. The one thing that I do love about the Lincoln Tunnel is when you leave and are in NJ, it wraps you around and gives you the most beautiful view across the Hudson of the skyline of midtown Manhattan. My destination, Roanoke, VA. The trip was pretty uneventful, which was good. I made it to VA and stayed at the lovely Courtyard Marriot that my father in law hooked me up with! Thanks Big Daddy! I think I arrived at approx 1:15am. Not bad, 8 hrs or so on the first day. But, I knew that the next day would eat me up and spit me out.

After waking up at about 7am, I was on the road again by 8. My destination today? Little Rock, AR! What I found most amusing today were the accents that I encountered as I picked up breakfast, lunch, and dinner in various parts of "middle America". I believe that it was the McDonalds in Roanoke that I first noticed the draaawl of VA. Subtle, but sweet. That afternoon I think I had made it to middle of nowhere Tennessee. Wow. This was as bad as you could imagine. The first person that I saw at the Wendy's was a guy that literally had dried up drool on his lips. He might as well been playing the Deliverance tune with a twinkle in his eye. And the accent...yikes! I safely made it out of there and was back on the road. Finally I made it to AR (yes, thats the abbreviation for Arkansas, not AK ...thats Alaska.) I stayed at a lovely little La Quinta just off I-30 and the receptionist was just cute as she could be...the attractive Southern accent was almost here. I do find that the Texas accent is quite attractive when coupled with an attractive woman.

So, yeah...day 3. This was nothing compared to the previous days...a mere 5 hrs and I'd be home! I have to say that I was very excited...not only to be crossing the Texas border in mere hours, but that I would get to see my wife!! ...and actually live under the same roof as her!! Go figure.

So, its been a few days and I've figured out where the silverware is and where the bowls and dishes and stuff go. I have to say I LOVE my apartment. Granted its just a temporary place whie we look to build a house to move into next year...but its a very beautiful place to come home to.

1 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger TheGreenJackalope said...

really pretty photo...i love the fact that Texas is taken over by live oaks!!! my 2nd favorite tree! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home